Skip to main content

First "true" clinical day...

Today was my first "real" clinical day.  I was able to work alone (which I much prefer) with my patient and I have to say I REALLY enjoyed this.  Of course, although I was the only one responsible for my patient I was sure to help out my fellow students when they needed it.  And I have to say they are all pretty great!  We have 7 people in our clinical group & I am so glad that we all get along & help each other out, I feel really blessed to be with this group of people.  Of course like I said in my last post, our actual "hands on" patient time today was only around an hour & a half. Once again we were in pre-conference from 6:30-8:00, we then had to go & sort out our medications which took until about 9:30 for all of us to get done & by the time I got my patient out of activity & finished her assessment it was 11:00, which is their lunch time.  So then  about 11:30 or so we all went to lunch where we stayed until 1:00!!!  Guess what time post conference is supposed to start?  Yep, you guessed it 1:00.  So we just had time to go back to our patient's, perform their afternoon vitals & then it was back down to post conference & then home.  Again, I'm not complaining, just stating.  I was much more prepared today for the assessment.  Last week I was kind of floundering around trying to remember all my assessment stuff, but today I made myself a list of "tests" to perform, my precious patient was so cooperative.  When I came back in the afternoon to tell her bye she said "Are you going to come back tomorrow and do all of this stuff over again?" lol.  I assured her that I wasn't but that someone else might come & bug her.  She was so pleasant & cooperative & funny as heck!  All in all it was a good day & I'm looking forward to my next day.  Unfortunately next week I don't get a patient, I have to follow the wound care nurse around.  As I stated before, I loved having my own patient, I am not big on "shadowing" people & I'm afraid that's all next week is going to be.  Fortunately the people that followed her around today did say that she let them change a dressing.  Jeez, I would hope so.  I guess I'll just have to see when I get there.

Two days down, 4 more to go!!

Comments

  1. Well maybe you will get some hands on with the wound care nurse and she/he will let you do some of the dressing changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love it!! We had fall break this week & I missed clinical. Really. I might have 3 Pts next week. That's what we are working up to this semester. I'm glad you ate enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't get 3 patients until probably like the last semester. I think next semester we'll get 2, which will be fine with me. I love that part of it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty dece...

I'm still not sure...

DONE with my ER rotation!  As a matter of fact that means I'm DONE with clinicals period!  Woohoo!!!  Friday was my last real clinical in nursing school.  I worked 6 twelve hour shifts in the ER & I can truly say that I would feel 90% comfortable going straight to the ER from nursing school.  Besides the actual trauma codes that come in, I feel like I could easily handle what goes on in that ER straight out of nursing school.  I thought that I would LOVE ER, and I did to an extent, but what I really found out in this clinical was that I just DON'T KNOW .  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet as far as being a nurse, and honestly I just don't think I would really LOVE any nursing job. I know that I want to be a NP & therefore nursing positions to me don't really hold a great appeal. That being said, I don't know yet 100% what dept. I want to to work in, and what I really came to realize is that I don't think I'm going to kno...

Night shift...

             The other day I got a text to work night shift, 7p-7a.  Well by the time I read the text it was already 3 pm & needless to say I wasn't going to get very much sleep beforehand if I was to work that shift so I compromised & told the floor supervisor that I would work until 2 am. Now mind you this is my first hospital job & working nights was of course something I'd never done, so I was interested to see what it was all about. Can I just say how much I love night shift? I mean talk about a MUCH more relaxed environment, I mean whoa the difference between night & day is, well, like night & day ;) If you've worked night shift you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No baths, no feedings, no visitors, no office personnel, I mean strictly meds & paperwork.  Uh hello night shift glad to have met you.  So here's what I'm thinking.  I never thought I could d...