Skip to main content

Going to the ER baby!!!



 
 
Sooo, I got my confirmation for my capstone clinical and surprise of all surprises I got BOTH of my first choices!!  We were allowed to pick 3 areas we were interested in working in and 2 hospitals that we would like to work at and I got BOTH of my picks!!  My choices were ER, ICU, and OB in that order, and my hospitals were the one that is in my town, which is literally 5 minutes from my house and the one right in the town over.  Since we don't get an ER rotation I was REALLY wanting to do that. So, let's just say that I am SUPER PSYCHED for this last clinical!! 
Also, like last semester, I got first rotation for my clinical.  What this means is that I am going to hit the ground RUNNING, and I will be CRAZY for that first month, but thankfully it will give me a bit of breathing room at the end to study for finals (I hope) & get preprared for graduation. GRADUATION!! Did ya hear me!! I graduate in exactly 119 days!!!!!!!  I mean it seriously brings a tear to my eye just to think about it.  And not in a "Oh I'm going to miss this" kind of way, but in a "Thank God I ACTUALLY made it through alive" kind of way!  Seriously people, nursing school is NO joke. 
School starts the 16th with orientation & then on the 17th we have skills day and the DREADED math test.  I mean seriously people.  WHY are you torturing us with doseage calculation, don't you know the pharmacy is going to give us the instructions?  They're going to tell us what to set the machine too.  Oh well, I guess it's good to know in case I go on a mission trip & ever need that info...
Can you believe that in 2 weeks I my countdown to graduation will be UNDER 100 DAYS!!  I swear I thought it would never get here, but it has and I am SO thankful!! 
Anyway, just thought I'd give a small update.  Hope everyone else is doing great.  Getting ready for the whirlwind to begin!!!
 



 


Comments

  1. Congratulations! You'll learn and do so many things in the ER. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog the other day....good luck to you! I'm a mom/student nurse, too. I'm in my third semester (OB/Peds and Gero are this semester for me) and will graduate in August. I'm LOVING OB so far!
    I'll keep watching to see how your experience in the ER goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting!! I'm super excited about the ER. Graduation is just around the corner for us both, woohoo!!

      Delete
  3. It may be fun, isn't it? Congratulations and All the very best. My good wishes are with you. Looking forward at your graduation news.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty dece...

I'm still not sure...

DONE with my ER rotation!  As a matter of fact that means I'm DONE with clinicals period!  Woohoo!!!  Friday was my last real clinical in nursing school.  I worked 6 twelve hour shifts in the ER & I can truly say that I would feel 90% comfortable going straight to the ER from nursing school.  Besides the actual trauma codes that come in, I feel like I could easily handle what goes on in that ER straight out of nursing school.  I thought that I would LOVE ER, and I did to an extent, but what I really found out in this clinical was that I just DON'T KNOW .  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet as far as being a nurse, and honestly I just don't think I would really LOVE any nursing job. I know that I want to be a NP & therefore nursing positions to me don't really hold a great appeal. That being said, I don't know yet 100% what dept. I want to to work in, and what I really came to realize is that I don't think I'm going to kno...

Night shift...

             The other day I got a text to work night shift, 7p-7a.  Well by the time I read the text it was already 3 pm & needless to say I wasn't going to get very much sleep beforehand if I was to work that shift so I compromised & told the floor supervisor that I would work until 2 am. Now mind you this is my first hospital job & working nights was of course something I'd never done, so I was interested to see what it was all about. Can I just say how much I love night shift? I mean talk about a MUCH more relaxed environment, I mean whoa the difference between night & day is, well, like night & day ;) If you've worked night shift you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No baths, no feedings, no visitors, no office personnel, I mean strictly meds & paperwork.  Uh hello night shift glad to have met you.  So here's what I'm thinking.  I never thought I could d...