Skip to main content

I was ACCEPTED!!

I know I have been MIA for quite a while now, I suppose that's what working 4-5 days a week will do to  you, but I'm back and with good news, I WAS ACCEPTED INTO MY MASTER'S FNP PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!  Can you tell I'm excited?  Doing the happy dance, doing the happy dance. Ok, to be honest, I've known this for a while, but since I don't actually start school until June, I didn't see any point in rushing to put it on here, but since June is just 3 short months away, and registration for classes start April 3, I figured it was time!! Well, that and I'm working in rehab today so I have a little time to kill :D 

So, the deets. I am going back to the same school that I graduated from with my BSN. This is a RODP (Regent's Online Degree Program) where they assign you to a home school and lucky me I was assigned back at my alma mater, so thrilled! Like I said, I start in June. I am planning on attending part time, which equals 2 classes a semester, because I still need to work full time. I REALLY wish I could go full time because of the difference in the amount of time it would take to finish, but I just can't. I have to work at least 3 days a week and I want to make sure I get good grades, so in order to really focus I think that 2 classes a semester is all I'm going to be able to do. My plan is to work MWF and "go to school" on Tue & Thur. I say go, but really this is an online program and the only time I actually have to go anywhere will be when I start clinicals. My plan though is to take Tue & Thur & go to the library that is 5 minutes from my house and really focus on school. I don't know about everyone else, but I usually get more done in an quiet, studious, environment. I think I'm just a dork like that though.
The other day I had to go up to the school to pay my malpractice insurance and while I was there I had to do a few things to prepare for registration and it was so great being back in a learning environment. I love school. I love knowing that I am moving towards a goal that I set 5 years ago, one that is getting closer every day. My program is for FNP (Family Nurse Practitioner). I don't plan on pursuing the DNP (Doctorate of Nursing Practice). I just honestly don't feel the need for the extra title, schooling, debt, and time. I want to get done ASAP! I want to finish what I started and just be done. Going part time will take me exactly 2 1/2 years, so I will graduate in December 2017 at the ripe old age of 45...hard to believe, but guess what?  I'll be 45 in 2 1/2 years anyway and I'd much rather be a NP at 45 than a floor nurse at 45, right? Floor nursing is NO JOKE. Since graduation I have worked in Geri Psych, Rehab and Med/Surg, and what I've learned from working these different floors is this. Your co-workers make ALL the difference. If you love the people you're working with it makes the day go SO much better, and thankfully I have met some GREAT people.

Anyway, that's what's going on in my neck of the woods. I just thought I'd stop by & mention this because pretty soon my school posts will start showing up again. I know everyone is looking forward to all the angst, lol.

Hope you're all enjoying this beautiful weather, unless of course you live in a part of the world where it's still dead of winter, yuck!

Be back soon!!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty dece...

Night shift...

             The other day I got a text to work night shift, 7p-7a.  Well by the time I read the text it was already 3 pm & needless to say I wasn't going to get very much sleep beforehand if I was to work that shift so I compromised & told the floor supervisor that I would work until 2 am. Now mind you this is my first hospital job & working nights was of course something I'd never done, so I was interested to see what it was all about. Can I just say how much I love night shift? I mean talk about a MUCH more relaxed environment, I mean whoa the difference between night & day is, well, like night & day ;) If you've worked night shift you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No baths, no feedings, no visitors, no office personnel, I mean strictly meds & paperwork.  Uh hello night shift glad to have met you.  So here's what I'm thinking.  I never thought I could d...

I'm still not sure...

DONE with my ER rotation!  As a matter of fact that means I'm DONE with clinicals period!  Woohoo!!!  Friday was my last real clinical in nursing school.  I worked 6 twelve hour shifts in the ER & I can truly say that I would feel 90% comfortable going straight to the ER from nursing school.  Besides the actual trauma codes that come in, I feel like I could easily handle what goes on in that ER straight out of nursing school.  I thought that I would LOVE ER, and I did to an extent, but what I really found out in this clinical was that I just DON'T KNOW .  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet as far as being a nurse, and honestly I just don't think I would really LOVE any nursing job. I know that I want to be a NP & therefore nursing positions to me don't really hold a great appeal. That being said, I don't know yet 100% what dept. I want to to work in, and what I really came to realize is that I don't think I'm going to kno...