Skip to main content
Ok so I've calmed down a bit after my blow up in Assessment class on Monday. 

Today I started working on my professional portfolio.  It's due next week.  But it doesn't seem to be very hard & I don't really have too much to put in there anyway, so I'm pretty sure I'll get it done by Friday.  Then I have one more project I have to finish & one more paper to write.  I hate papers and mostly b/c I don't know what APA style is and I haven't bought the book yet (yes I know I'm a dork), so writing them just puts me in a funk.  I mean seriously, what's wrong with good 'ol MLA style!!  And citing, ugh, don't even get me started.  No the reference page, it's the biggest pain in my booty!! 

But all in all I can see the finish line and I THIIIIIIIIIIINK I'm going to make it and boy am I going to CELEBRATE!!!  I think every semester I'm going to have to celebrate just making it through one more semester, lol.  I am praying that next semester isn't this bad, I heard that it wasn't.  Going from 5 to 3 classes SHOULD be a breeze (at least I'm praying that it will be). 

Working on my "professional" portfolio has put me in a good mood.  It's funny b/c when I was buying it this morning at Office Max I thought "I'm going to be a professional".  Not a cashier, not a waitress, not a secretary a "professional".  I never really thought about that aspect of it when I decided to go into nursing, but I have to admit I am loving it.  A professional.  I also like learning about the difference between having a  profession & having a job in my Professionalism class.  Of course I already knew there WAS a difference, I just like learning about it and hearing about it and knowing that one day I will be classified as a "professional".  Too cool.  Ok, how much of a dork am I?  I know, a total one! 

Ok back to working on my portfolio.  I'll try to take a picture of it when I'm done with it so you can see the cheesy picture I chose for the cover page.  Hey, they said to make it reflect your personality & believe me, that's cheesy!! ;)





Comments

  1. Glad to hear you’ve recouped. There were a couple of tests in school that I didn’t do to well on either. Just keep plowing through and before you know it you’ll be done. APA format isn’t too hard once you get used to it. I found that once I got the book, I new better than some of my instructors how to format my papers. It’s all subjective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's not so much how badly I did on this test (although that was way discouraging), I just hate being so close to the edge. I don't do well walking a fine line....Guess all I can do is study like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, God speed in working with your portfolio, eh. Looking forward for an update. :)

    Take care,
    Peny@uniform medical

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty dece...

Night shift...

             The other day I got a text to work night shift, 7p-7a.  Well by the time I read the text it was already 3 pm & needless to say I wasn't going to get very much sleep beforehand if I was to work that shift so I compromised & told the floor supervisor that I would work until 2 am. Now mind you this is my first hospital job & working nights was of course something I'd never done, so I was interested to see what it was all about. Can I just say how much I love night shift? I mean talk about a MUCH more relaxed environment, I mean whoa the difference between night & day is, well, like night & day ;) If you've worked night shift you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No baths, no feedings, no visitors, no office personnel, I mean strictly meds & paperwork.  Uh hello night shift glad to have met you.  So here's what I'm thinking.  I never thought I could d...

I'm still not sure...

DONE with my ER rotation!  As a matter of fact that means I'm DONE with clinicals period!  Woohoo!!!  Friday was my last real clinical in nursing school.  I worked 6 twelve hour shifts in the ER & I can truly say that I would feel 90% comfortable going straight to the ER from nursing school.  Besides the actual trauma codes that come in, I feel like I could easily handle what goes on in that ER straight out of nursing school.  I thought that I would LOVE ER, and I did to an extent, but what I really found out in this clinical was that I just DON'T KNOW .  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet as far as being a nurse, and honestly I just don't think I would really LOVE any nursing job. I know that I want to be a NP & therefore nursing positions to me don't really hold a great appeal. That being said, I don't know yet 100% what dept. I want to to work in, and what I really came to realize is that I don't think I'm going to kno...