Skip to main content

Oh my aching...EVERYTHING!

Can I just say how SORE I am?? These 2 twelve hour shifts were NO joke!  Sure I thought maybe my feet would be sore, but I didn't take into account my back and my calves.  I  mean I seriously feel like I have walked 500 miles.  My poor body is like wth is going on here?  I was talking to my nursing bestie (he just got an extern job also) & he said "Do you think you could do another day tomorrow?" & I  was like "NO!!"  Of course I know I COULD  do another day tomorrow & work 3 in a row, but I wouldn't WANT to.  He's trying to get as many hours as possible this summer & so he wants to try to work at least 4 days.  Fortunately for him, he's 10 years younger than me, weighs much less & he's a waiter, so he's already used to being on his feet all day running like a chicken with its head cut off.  But my poor body can't even remember my waitress days.  They were a LONG time ago & I haven't done this type of work since then.  I've been a desk jockey for so long I had forgotten how physical this was.  Luckily I have these 2 days off & then I am working Friday & Saturday.  I believe working Saturday will put me into overtime.  As a matter of fact I think I'll text my boss just to make sure.  That plus the shift diff for working on Saturday (which I'm still not sure what that is) is the only reason I decided to do 4 days this week.  Whew, this is for sure going to take some getting used to!!




Comments

  1. Haha- welcome to the wonderful world of 12 hour shifts! In the UK, we are expected to be at university and do placement hours at the same time- on my two days 'off' I work two 12 hour shifts- the joys of nursing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo!! I will continue to work once school starts back, but I probably won't work more than 2 days a week.

      Delete
  2. Shift diff (shift differential) is added money on top of your hourly salary for working certain shifts or times. Let's say your hourly salary is $30/hour. A Saturday shift (ex: weekend shift diff is $3.00) you would make $33.00/hour for working that shift. Hospitals normally pay shift diffs for weekends and nights. You can make a whole bunch if a holiday is on the weekend (holiday pay + weekend shift diff + if you work nights = more).
    Hopefully, this will help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be funny because come September school will be a needed break from work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm already looking forward to only working 1 or 2 days once school starts, haha. Until then though I need to work at LEAST 3 days a week during the summer so we can get caught up on our bills. Only 2 more semesters of my BSN though & then I can work full time while I pursue my NP.

      Delete
  4. Hey simple cure for aching feet and calves: Compression stockings, like the ones diabetics wear. Here you can get them at the pharmacy for reasonable price, and I have heard they help alot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well luckily this past shift where I worked a day & a half (got sent home for low census) I was just fine afterwards. I guess all of that walking just takes getting used to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty dece...

I'm still not sure...

DONE with my ER rotation!  As a matter of fact that means I'm DONE with clinicals period!  Woohoo!!!  Friday was my last real clinical in nursing school.  I worked 6 twelve hour shifts in the ER & I can truly say that I would feel 90% comfortable going straight to the ER from nursing school.  Besides the actual trauma codes that come in, I feel like I could easily handle what goes on in that ER straight out of nursing school.  I thought that I would LOVE ER, and I did to an extent, but what I really found out in this clinical was that I just DON'T KNOW .  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet as far as being a nurse, and honestly I just don't think I would really LOVE any nursing job. I know that I want to be a NP & therefore nursing positions to me don't really hold a great appeal. That being said, I don't know yet 100% what dept. I want to to work in, and what I really came to realize is that I don't think I'm going to kno...

Night shift...

             The other day I got a text to work night shift, 7p-7a.  Well by the time I read the text it was already 3 pm & needless to say I wasn't going to get very much sleep beforehand if I was to work that shift so I compromised & told the floor supervisor that I would work until 2 am. Now mind you this is my first hospital job & working nights was of course something I'd never done, so I was interested to see what it was all about. Can I just say how much I love night shift? I mean talk about a MUCH more relaxed environment, I mean whoa the difference between night & day is, well, like night & day ;) If you've worked night shift you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No baths, no feedings, no visitors, no office personnel, I mean strictly meds & paperwork.  Uh hello night shift glad to have met you.  So here's what I'm thinking.  I never thought I could d...