Skip to main content

LOOONG day at work...

So yesterday I worked my first shift alone and by alone I mean not "orienting" anymore.  I had the whole 2nd floor to myself & man was I busy!! I mean the only time I had to sit down during my whole shift was during lunch, I was slammed!  The good thing about that though was that the day flew by.  And I have to say that I actually enjoyed it.  Although I was pretty sore this morning it wasn't like my 1st day off where everything hurt, this morning it was really only my back that was hurting. I was scheduled to work this morning as well but I got a call at 5 am saying that I was put on call.  I guess that's what they do when they have low census.  Bummer b/c that means that I'll only get one day this week & I was hoping on at least 2.  Oh well. I scheduled myself to work Monday which is Memorial Day, so hopefully I'll get holiday pay for that day.  I like this whole deal of getting to schedule my days, but it's hard to schedule your days when you don't know what you have coming up.  Anyhoo, like I said I actually enjoyed my day yesterday.  The charge nurse was really sweet & my patient's were great.  I was actually disappointed that I wouldn't get to see them again today, but I still don't know if I would like to work in this hospital once I get my license.  I guess I'll just have to see when the time gets closer. 

No work this weekend, my baby girl & I are off on a mommy/daughter camping trip that I am totally looking forward to. I'll try to take some pics & post them on here. 

I hope everyone else has a great weekend & a great Memorial Day!!



Comments

  1. Sounds like things are going good. Have a great time camping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you become a nurse just remember the bad times as a tech. The nursing assistants are your best friend as a nurse. Do them right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that emotion, NP Odyssey.

    BTW, I'm blogging again, new address: http://pedinp.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/im-back-and-some-thoughts-on-social-media/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty dece...

I'm still not sure...

DONE with my ER rotation!  As a matter of fact that means I'm DONE with clinicals period!  Woohoo!!!  Friday was my last real clinical in nursing school.  I worked 6 twelve hour shifts in the ER & I can truly say that I would feel 90% comfortable going straight to the ER from nursing school.  Besides the actual trauma codes that come in, I feel like I could easily handle what goes on in that ER straight out of nursing school.  I thought that I would LOVE ER, and I did to an extent, but what I really found out in this clinical was that I just DON'T KNOW .  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet as far as being a nurse, and honestly I just don't think I would really LOVE any nursing job. I know that I want to be a NP & therefore nursing positions to me don't really hold a great appeal. That being said, I don't know yet 100% what dept. I want to to work in, and what I really came to realize is that I don't think I'm going to kno...

Night shift...

             The other day I got a text to work night shift, 7p-7a.  Well by the time I read the text it was already 3 pm & needless to say I wasn't going to get very much sleep beforehand if I was to work that shift so I compromised & told the floor supervisor that I would work until 2 am. Now mind you this is my first hospital job & working nights was of course something I'd never done, so I was interested to see what it was all about. Can I just say how much I love night shift? I mean talk about a MUCH more relaxed environment, I mean whoa the difference between night & day is, well, like night & day ;) If you've worked night shift you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No baths, no feedings, no visitors, no office personnel, I mean strictly meds & paperwork.  Uh hello night shift glad to have met you.  So here's what I'm thinking.  I never thought I could d...