Skip to main content

I'm still alive!! Tomorrow is the NCLEX!

So as you can see I have GRADUATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!  I am SO happy that nursing school is over, but can we say holy terrified?  Tomorrow is the NCLEX & I feel thoroughly unprepared.  Fortunately our school provided us with the HURST Review and even though I have been studying this for about 2 weeks now I still feel completely terrified to actually take the test. 
Of my former classmates I know of one so far who has failed....so scary...
The rest of them are chugging along & passing on a daily basis, hopefully I will be one of them!

But to rewind, here are a few pics from graduation & my graduation party that my precious husband & sister threw for me:





That's my baby girl to my right, she looks taller than me!
 
I seriously couldn't have been cheesing any harder!!

My nursing bestie & his bf hiding in the back!
My study buddy!
 
My inlaws, aren't they precious!!
Definitely one of the best days of my life!

As I said, tomorrow I take the NCLEX.  Honestly, up until I had the HURST review I really wasn't that nervous.  During the review the teacher advised us that as of 2012 they have changed the test to make it harder & the first time pass rate went from 94% to 88% (or something like that).  Um what?!
Talk about skeered, yep that's me!  BUT, the good news is that at work I have transitioned over from a tech to a graduate nurse & I have been orienting now for about two weeks, no actually longer than that.  I oriented first on the Geri psych floor where I was working & then 2 weeks ago I switched & started orienting on the Med/Surg floor of my hospital.  The first two days we were slammed, I swear I thought my legs were going to fall off!  But this past weekend I worked three days in a row & thankfully Saturday & Sunday weren't THAT bad.  I actually like working on the weekends, it is MUCH calmer...well it was this past weekend anyway.
While I was working I met a girl who graduated in May 2013 & she was in NP school.  She decided to just go straight through. She is going part time & so she has a little ways to go still. I think going part time it should take her about 3 years.  It kind of made me regret not going straight through myself, but then I think about how much I've been working & would I really want to be studying for the NCLEX, worrying about the NCLEX, orienting as a new nurse AND taking graduate classes?  Not really.  So my plan is to start next summer at the same school I got my BSN at. They offer the NP program 100% online & I think that will suit my life perfectly. 
Anyway, that's it for the update, I will try to get back here & update more about work & other things & of course I will update about my NCLEX, whether it be good or bad (hoping & praying for the good though!).  Oh, btw, I asked my boss what would happen if I failed the NCLEX & she was just like "You just take it again" you know, like no biggie.  She said that I would just continue to orient until I passed it.  And since I already got my first nurse pay raise I guess that's not too bad.  Plus, there is a nurse there who is orienting now that I found out last week had failed her NCLEX the first time & she is still orienting, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, but really I just want to be DONE with it & MOVE on to other things.....
Anyway, hope everyone is doing well!!


Comments

  1. Congrats! And good for you not going straight through to the NP program. Get some experience under your belt. Having precepted MANY NP students, I can tell you my best students are the ones with experience. Trust me on this one! Great job and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Candi you go get'em! I'm proud of you for finishing school!
    I'll be praying you passed with a great low score, but if you didn't, no fear, put your head back in the books and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and Good luck! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After school it is always sad because now you will all go on your separate journeys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyyyyyyyyy! All your hard work paid off! Congrats, HUN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on Graduation!! How did the NCLEX go??

    ReplyDelete
  7. So... How did the NCLEX go?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I feel so inadequate...

So today I was reading Sophia's blog over at All Things NP , she's a NP student at Penn State.  As I was reading about her interview process with Penn State & her rotations & her Sim Man day I started thinking, I am nowhere NEAR as smart as she is.  I still struggle with what lab values are correct, much less IF they're off then why??!!  I know that I don't put in as much time studying as some of my other classmates do and all of this makes me really doubt myself.  When will this stuff start to really click? When will I start to KNOW this stuff?  I wish I could spend more time studying than I do & in all honesty I probably could, but I also have a very busy life.  I know that's not an excuse as everyone has their own "stuff", but I was seriously thinking as I was reading over her blog that I really need to buckle down & start reading a bit more.  I definitely need to start studying more.  I mean, I'm doing fine in my classes but PERSON

MedSurg - Ortho Floor....

Ok can we say TOTAL snooze fest???  Today was our first official day on the MedSurg floor, but unfortunately since the professor figured we might be overwhelmed with over 15 pages of clinical paperwork due in one night, we weren't really able to do much (meaning no passing of meds).  We were basically put into the PCT roles.  So, pretty much it felt like last semester's clinical all over again, a bunch of elderly people, except for these ones have total hip replacements instead of just being old.   And let me tell you I can say with almost 100% assurance that working on the Ortho wing of the MedSurg floor is NOT where I see my future nursing self.  I mean maybe it was just my perception, but I saw the nurses basically in the same role as they were in the nursing home.  Going from patint room to patient room passing meds.  BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate that we don't get an ER rotation, I REALLY think that I would like that much more, except that as a new nurse I just don'