Skip to main content

Christmas break...



Christmas is over but I am still basking in the break and the fact that I have no school until January 18th. Sometimes I feel so burnt out, like if I were to just stop going to school tomorrow I would be ok with that...but then I get floated to Med/Surg and I'm like "HELL TO THE NAW!!"
I seriously don't understand how floor nurses, especially Med/Surg floor nurses do it. I just couldn't see myself being a floor nurse for 30 years. There is NO way. Not too long ago I read a statistic that said the majority of new nurses were burning out and changing careers within THREE years of becoming nurses. That's crazy! Three years just barely gives you enough time to be wet behind the ears! But I can believe it. In my hospital alone I have seen almost a complete nurse turnover of the whole hospital. That means that every unit in my hospital has had major turnover, and that's not just older nurses, I'm talking even brand new nurses have left within a year of being hired. What's the problem? Well from what I see there are several things. First and foremost is STAFFING. Staffing is SUCH a huge problem. With no national nurse/patient ratio the nurses are at the mercy of the hospital administration, and you would think with the majority of them being former nurses they would make sure that we were staffed sufficiently but you would be way wrong. At my particular hospital we try to stay 5/1 on Med/Surg, but of course that doesn't always happen, and we all know from experience, the more you accept, the more they expect. Second is help!! Not only do they expect nurses to see more patients, but they expect you to see more patients with less help! I'm sorry but one CNA to 20-30 patients is NOT help. Shoot, that's if you're lucky enough to even have a CNA, and don't even get me started on what they get paid! Talk about a thankless job!! Then there's pay. To say nurses aren't paid enough is a huge understatement, especially at my hospital. I'm sorry but when a new nurse starts out at $18.00 an hour, THAT'S a problem!! I was making $18.00 an hour as an office manager 10 years ago!! I guess after all of that I can see why nurses burn out within 3 years....
So, anyhoo!! December 18th is the start of my 3rd semester, hard to believe that in January I'll only have 1 1/2 years left of school and then I'll be DONESVILLE FOREVER!! I mean a year and a half, that hardly seems possible that it's that close. I seriously can't wait though. Everyone always asks what type of nurse practitioner I want to be. Of course how can I know? That's just like with nursing, I couldn't know until I actually did it. More than likely I'll just take the first job I get and go from there. Hey, it worked with nursing :D
Well, anyhoo, just wanted to stop in & jot a little something down. I'll try to update again when it gets closer to school starting.
Have a Happy New Year!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm still alive!! Tomorrow is the NCLEX!

So as you can see I have GRADUATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!  I am SO happy that nursing school is over, but can we say holy terrified?  Tomorrow is the NCLEX & I feel thoroughly unprepared.  Fortunately our school provided us with the HURST Review  and even though I have been studying this for about 2 weeks now I still feel completely terrified to actually take the test.  Of my former classmates I know of one so far who has failed....so scary... The rest of them are chugging along & passing on a daily basis, hopefully I will be one of them! But to rewind, here are a few pics from graduation & my graduation party that my precious husband & sister threw for me: That's my baby girl to my right, she looks taller than me!   I seriously couldn't have been cheesing any harder!! My nursing bestie & his bf hiding in the back! My study buddy!   My inlaws, aren't they precious!! Definitely one of the best days of my life!

I feel so inadequate...

So today I was reading Sophia's blog over at All Things NP , she's a NP student at Penn State.  As I was reading about her interview process with Penn State & her rotations & her Sim Man day I started thinking, I am nowhere NEAR as smart as she is.  I still struggle with what lab values are correct, much less IF they're off then why??!!  I know that I don't put in as much time studying as some of my other classmates do and all of this makes me really doubt myself.  When will this stuff start to really click? When will I start to KNOW this stuff?  I wish I could spend more time studying than I do & in all honesty I probably could, but I also have a very busy life.  I know that's not an excuse as everyone has their own "stuff", but I was seriously thinking as I was reading over her blog that I really need to buckle down & start reading a bit more.  I definitely need to start studying more.  I mean, I'm doing fine in my classes but PERSON

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty decent.  I was worried they