Skip to main content

Put on call AGAIN!

Time to look for a 2nd job.  Today is the THIRD shift in a row that I have been put "on call". Which basically means that I have to be available to come into work should they need me for the whole 12 hours, thus I can travel no farther than 30 minutes from my home b/c I have to be there w/in 30 minutes or so if they decide they need me.  And while I understand low census I still don't think it's fair that I've been the one to have to take call for my last 3 scheduled shifts, I mean I'm thinking they should be switching this around & not just putting ME on call.  I know it's a Saturday & all but I think I'm going to send my boss a little text.  I mean this is ridiculous, I've worked ONE shift this week.  Not a happy camper.  Unfortunately b/c this is such a small, rural hospital there is nowhere to float to if your floor has too many techs & not enough patients.  Therefore I started applying for jobs at the hospital where I do my clinicals. It's a much bigger hospital & I'd say the chance of being called out for low census is very low seeing as they have something like 9 floors as compared to our 2 & they use techs everywhere not just on Med/Surg.  Plus my nursing bestie just started there as a Nurse Extern (glorified tech) & I would love to work with him. 

Other than that, summer is going great.  I am liking my job more & more (I was nervous there for a minute thinking I had chosen the wrong field).  I guess it helps when you start connecting with the people there, it kinda sucks being the new person. My baby girl has been gone now for almost 2 weeks, the longest she's ever been gone & she asked me the other day if she could stay longer than she was initially supposed to.  It looks like she may not come home until after th 4th!!  Crazy that she'll have been gone a month.  But I've done better than I thought I would.  I'm happy that she is getting this experience.  I have to say I'm JUUUUST about ready to start back to school, even though my nursing bestie won't be with me :'( I'm ready to get this last year DONE!! I can't believe that next May I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree.  I know my mom would be so proud of me, I wish she were here to see it all. 

Anyway, I hope that you guys are having a great summer so far.  I mean I guess technically summer hasn't even started yet has it?  Oh well, don't work too hard, try to get out & play some this summer!

Later taters,




Comments

  1. Because health care and hospitals run on profits census dictates whether you will work. Every floor has a budget and a way they cancel staff, like seniority or a VTO list. As a travel nurse I have worked in some large hospital with over a 1000 beds, and staff get called off with low census everywhere. Can't predict when people get sick or need care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm still alive!! Tomorrow is the NCLEX!

So as you can see I have GRADUATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!  I am SO happy that nursing school is over, but can we say holy terrified?  Tomorrow is the NCLEX & I feel thoroughly unprepared.  Fortunately our school provided us with the HURST Review  and even though I have been studying this for about 2 weeks now I still feel completely terrified to actually take the test.  Of my former classmates I know of one so far who has failed....so scary... The rest of them are chugging along & passing on a daily basis, hopefully I will be one of them! But to rewind, here are a few pics from graduation & my graduation party that my precious husband & sister threw for me: That's my baby girl to my right, she looks taller than me!   I seriously couldn't have been cheesing any harder!! My nursing bestie & his bf hiding in the back! My study buddy!   My inlaws, aren't they precious!! Definitely one of the best days of my life!

I feel so inadequate...

So today I was reading Sophia's blog over at All Things NP , she's a NP student at Penn State.  As I was reading about her interview process with Penn State & her rotations & her Sim Man day I started thinking, I am nowhere NEAR as smart as she is.  I still struggle with what lab values are correct, much less IF they're off then why??!!  I know that I don't put in as much time studying as some of my other classmates do and all of this makes me really doubt myself.  When will this stuff start to really click? When will I start to KNOW this stuff?  I wish I could spend more time studying than I do & in all honesty I probably could, but I also have a very busy life.  I know that's not an excuse as everyone has their own "stuff", but I was seriously thinking as I was reading over her blog that I really need to buckle down & start reading a bit more.  I definitely need to start studying more.  I mean, I'm doing fine in my classes but PERSON

MedSurg - Ortho Floor....

Ok can we say TOTAL snooze fest???  Today was our first official day on the MedSurg floor, but unfortunately since the professor figured we might be overwhelmed with over 15 pages of clinical paperwork due in one night, we weren't really able to do much (meaning no passing of meds).  We were basically put into the PCT roles.  So, pretty much it felt like last semester's clinical all over again, a bunch of elderly people, except for these ones have total hip replacements instead of just being old.   And let me tell you I can say with almost 100% assurance that working on the Ortho wing of the MedSurg floor is NOT where I see my future nursing self.  I mean maybe it was just my perception, but I saw the nurses basically in the same role as they were in the nursing home.  Going from patint room to patient room passing meds.  BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate that we don't get an ER rotation, I REALLY think that I would like that much more, except that as a new nurse I just don'