Skip to main content

CPR...check!

So I went yesterday for my CPR certificate which was more fun that I anticipated. I was envisioning a bunch of note taking blah blah blah, but actually there were NO notes to be taken, the class was only 3 hours long and it went by really fast b/c the whole class was hands on. I love hands on. But the really neat thing was that all of the other people in the class (there were 4 of us total) were also going to be attending Blarvard in January. So it was the first time meeting my other fellow nursing students. It was a very interesting mix of people too. You had me, the old one. There was another girl who already had her Biology degree, but had decided to go back for her nursing degree, so she was a teeny bit older than your normal student, but not as old as me. There was a very young black girl and a young Asian guy. I loved the mix. Greg was the Asian guy, he was so very sweet. I can't wait to see them again in January!! :) Now the last thing I have to do is pay for my malpractice insurance and I will be DONE as far as jumping all the hoops in order to start nursing school. I heard from a friend, that she had a friend, (I know) who was accepted into the nursing program but didn't get her Background check stuff done and turned in on time (supposedly not her fault) and she was KICKED OUT OF THE PROGRAM!!!! OH-MY-LORD I would D-I-E!! So I am trying to be very vigilant making sure my lists are double checked. It's getting closer every day & I am soooo super excited. I started looking at stethescopes and I found the cutest one the other day that I'm pretty sure I'm going to order. It has all the bells & whistles AND I'm going to get my name engraved on it, woohoo!! This is what it looks like:



It's the Littmann Cardiology III Stethoscope in Raspberry. Awesome.

And lastly, tomorrow I have an appointment with a free clinic in the next town over to do some volunteer work. Hopefully I'll get lots of clinic time there doing BP checks, checking in patients etc. Any experience would be great, so I'm looking forward to meeting with them tomorrow. Since I only have school M-W I will have time to volunteer on Thursday and/or Friday while my children are in school, but still get out in time to get them. It sounds like the best of both worlds (actually that's three worlds) but we'll see. I'm excited for all of it, bring it on!!!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm still alive!! Tomorrow is the NCLEX!

So as you can see I have GRADUATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!  I am SO happy that nursing school is over, but can we say holy terrified?  Tomorrow is the NCLEX & I feel thoroughly unprepared.  Fortunately our school provided us with the HURST Review  and even though I have been studying this for about 2 weeks now I still feel completely terrified to actually take the test.  Of my former classmates I know of one so far who has failed....so scary... The rest of them are chugging along & passing on a daily basis, hopefully I will be one of them! But to rewind, here are a few pics from graduation & my graduation party that my precious husband & sister threw for me: That's my baby girl to my right, she looks taller than me!   I seriously couldn't have been cheesing any harder!! My nursing bestie & his bf hiding in the back! My study buddy!   My inlaws, aren't they precious!! Definitely one of the best days of my life!

I feel so inadequate...

So today I was reading Sophia's blog over at All Things NP , she's a NP student at Penn State.  As I was reading about her interview process with Penn State & her rotations & her Sim Man day I started thinking, I am nowhere NEAR as smart as she is.  I still struggle with what lab values are correct, much less IF they're off then why??!!  I know that I don't put in as much time studying as some of my other classmates do and all of this makes me really doubt myself.  When will this stuff start to really click? When will I start to KNOW this stuff?  I wish I could spend more time studying than I do & in all honesty I probably could, but I also have a very busy life.  I know that's not an excuse as everyone has their own "stuff", but I was seriously thinking as I was reading over her blog that I really need to buckle down & start reading a bit more.  I definitely need to start studying more.  I mean, I'm doing fine in my classes but PERSON

MedSurg - Ortho Floor....

Ok can we say TOTAL snooze fest???  Today was our first official day on the MedSurg floor, but unfortunately since the professor figured we might be overwhelmed with over 15 pages of clinical paperwork due in one night, we weren't really able to do much (meaning no passing of meds).  We were basically put into the PCT roles.  So, pretty much it felt like last semester's clinical all over again, a bunch of elderly people, except for these ones have total hip replacements instead of just being old.   And let me tell you I can say with almost 100% assurance that working on the Ortho wing of the MedSurg floor is NOT where I see my future nursing self.  I mean maybe it was just my perception, but I saw the nurses basically in the same role as they were in the nursing home.  Going from patint room to patient room passing meds.  BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate that we don't get an ER rotation, I REALLY think that I would like that much more, except that as a new nurse I just don'