Skip to main content

Feeling a little better...

So things have been so hectic, I really haven't had the time to blog like I've wanted to about school. As I said before I was a little concerned about Patho, but I was just overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I needed to do with having 4 classes. Well actually 4 classes & a lab (I'm pretty sure the most I've ever taken). BUT so far I'm pretty much on track (I hope). I even got a praise from my online teacher for "encouraging" people to stay on deadline, lol. Uh yeah, I can't depend on them, either they get it turned in or they get left out! No, just kidding, I don't want anyone to get behind or to get a bad grade, so I'm glad everyone got their posts in.
With Patho I was a little concerned b/c basically all the teacher has done is give us some power points, read over them and that's it. No teaching really. But I talked to my friend who is in the semester ahead of me & she said she just thinks that the teacher just really doesn't like having to review this stuff, so she doesn't really get into that much, but that as time goes on that she gets much better & that she thinks she is a really good teacher. So that was encouraging. Also, she just told me that she just studied what was on the power points, so that was encouraging as well, that way I don't get bogged down trying to decipher and understand EVERYTHING in all 10 of those chapters. I've taken 7 of the quizzes & have until next week to take the other 3, but I'm sure I'll get those done this weekend.
Gerontology is going to be a good class once we get into it. The teacher encourages discussion, which I like, but I have to say 3:15 minutes for one class is EXTREMELY long. I just realized the other day that since I'm only taking these classes once a week, instead of a normal twice a week class that they are extra long. Phew, time can sort of drag in Gero, but it flies by in Patho.
My online class is going well, the only thing I need to do in there is make sure I don't miss any deadlines. I started to go to bed the other night & realized that I hadn't posted my summary!! Scary!! I jumped out of bed & got it done in plenty of time, but I think I'm going to have to put stuff like that in my calendar on my phone. I downloaded this pretty cool calendar app called Jorte, so I just need to make sure I put all of my stuff in there.
Then there's Professionalism in Nursing, which we have our first class in there on Monday, so we'll see how that one goes. And we'll have our first Assessment lab this week as well. I finally got my stethoscope, my blood pressure cuff, pen light & tape measure, so I guess I'm good to go!!
I think I was a little unprepared for how many classes were going to require papers. It's a little overwhelming & I think I DEFINITELY should have waited until this summer to take my elective, but I'll make it through, at least I don't have to work on top of all of this!! Big thanks to my supportive husband & unemployment, lol. I am going to start my volunteer job though. I start that next Friday. I'll be working with the GYN doctor who comes to the clinic twice a month on Friday's. Hopefully that will turn into a long term thing & I can learn a lot from working there.
Anyyyyhooooo. I guess that's it for now about school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm still alive!! Tomorrow is the NCLEX!

So as you can see I have GRADUATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!  I am SO happy that nursing school is over, but can we say holy terrified?  Tomorrow is the NCLEX & I feel thoroughly unprepared.  Fortunately our school provided us with the HURST Review  and even though I have been studying this for about 2 weeks now I still feel completely terrified to actually take the test.  Of my former classmates I know of one so far who has failed....so scary... The rest of them are chugging along & passing on a daily basis, hopefully I will be one of them! But to rewind, here are a few pics from graduation & my graduation party that my precious husband & sister threw for me: That's my baby girl to my right, she looks taller than me!   I seriously couldn't have been cheesing any harder!! My nursing bestie & his bf hiding in the back! My study buddy!   My inlaws, aren't they precious!! Definitely one of the best days of my life!

I feel so inadequate...

So today I was reading Sophia's blog over at All Things NP , she's a NP student at Penn State.  As I was reading about her interview process with Penn State & her rotations & her Sim Man day I started thinking, I am nowhere NEAR as smart as she is.  I still struggle with what lab values are correct, much less IF they're off then why??!!  I know that I don't put in as much time studying as some of my other classmates do and all of this makes me really doubt myself.  When will this stuff start to really click? When will I start to KNOW this stuff?  I wish I could spend more time studying than I do & in all honesty I probably could, but I also have a very busy life.  I know that's not an excuse as everyone has their own "stuff", but I was seriously thinking as I was reading over her blog that I really need to buckle down & start reading a bit more.  I definitely need to start studying more.  I mean, I'm doing fine in my classes but PERSON

Got the job!!

So the director of the Med/Surg floor said I would hear something by today and well, I waited as long as I could before calling her seeing as I hadn't heard from her.  I said I would wait until 4:00 but by 3:30 I was chomping at the bit so I called her.  She said "I was just filling out your paperwork to offer you the job"!!! Yay me!!      Now I know it's just a PCT/CNA job, but hey it gets my foot in the door right?  I've talked to several of my friends who are in the semesters ahead of me & they've all said the same thing.  "Get a job NOW".   I have one friend who said she can't even get a PCT job b/c no one will hire her b/c she's too close to graduating.  I never thought of that. Why wouldn't they want to hire you knowing that soon you'd be able to be a nurse there??  I don't know, but I am glad to have the job.    The director said she thinks the pay is $10 an hour, which is pretty decent.  I was worried they